Socorro County Extension Office
Socorro was the name conferred by Don Juan de Oñate upon a Pueblo north of the present town of Socorro, the county seat. Some friendly Indians had presented him and his troops with corn in the summer of 1598, which is why he chose the name meaning "succor" or "help." Once the largest city in New Mexico because of silver strikes nearby, Socorro today is the home of the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology. The world's first atomic bomb exploded in the southeast corner of the county on July 16, 1945. The county has considerable cattle ranching.
Socorro County Extension Staff:
State Program Areas
© 2013 New Mexico State University Board of Regents
NMSU - All About Discovery!